Develop your leadership skills by becoming a PA!
SLC Program Assistants (PAs) help SLC participants to have the most amazing leadership experience possible.
The 2023 California 4-H State Leadership Conference is almost here! This annual conference helps 4-H youth ages 14-19 strengthen skills in leadership, communications, and goal setting. Conference attendees will partake in educational workshops, listen to inspiring speakers, and reflect in group sessions with their Program Assistants - that’s you!
Program Assistants are responsible for leading PA Sessions, facilitating groups of youth attendees, creating a positive learning environment, and assisting with conference activities as needed. Program Assistants will work in pairs with small groups of 4-H youth and work as the face of the conference. This is a great way to stay involved with the 4-H program as a young adult and make lifelong friendships!
This role has a selection process.
This Program Assistant application closes on May 10th, 2024.
- Have previously attended State Leadership Conference or another 4-H leadership conference;
- Will be enrolled as a 4-H Adult Volunteer by July 1, 2024;
- Able to attend State Leadership Conference in person July 25-28, 2024. Program Assistants may be asked to arrive one day early on July 26, 2023.
- Are able to successfully facilitate and engage groups of youth ages 14-19.
- Program Assistants must follow all in-person COVID-19 requirements for California 4-H and UC Davis’s campus, including being vaccinated and boosted before attending, with exemptions. All requirements are subject to change prior to the conference. Please review California 4-H’s COVID-19 protocol for overnight events here.
- Work with an assigned Program Assistant partner and a group of conference attendees to enhance the material being taught during the conference.
- Encourage delegates to participate in self reflection and meaningful discussion during assigned group meetings.
- Attend educational sessions as assigned, promote and give full participation, and introduce educational speakers when required.
- Attend ALL necessary Program Assistant pre-conference training (see dates below).
- Be present and fully participate in all State Leadership Conference activities, with a commitment to all SLC dates.
- Skills to be utilized will include public speaking, problem solving, teamwork and cooperations, strong time management, and the ability to create empathetic connections that will create a lasting development for the attending youths.
- Be Flexible. The State Leadership Conference and the COVID pandemic have a lot of moving parts that are always changing. We ask that you have the ability to go with the flow and bear with us as we all try our best to follow changing rules and regulations.
- Have a fun, upbeat attitude in order to help children better enjoy the conference! Being a PA is above all about giving back by creating a fun leadership opportunity for youth, and by Sunday you’ll have a new group of lifelong friends.
- April 22nd, 2024 from 7pm- 8pm
Program Assistant training meetings:
- May 20th, 2024 from 7pm- 8pm
- July 15th, 2024 from 7pm- 8pm
Optional: June 10th, 2024 from 6pm-8pm
These required meetings for Program Assistants will give you an opportunity to connect as Program Assistants, get your group assignments, and get additional instruction and opportunities to use your leadership skills.