The AFTE Photo Contest is now open for submissions!
- Deadline for submissions: May 1, 2023
- An entry form is required for each photo submitted - ACCESS FORM HERE
- Entries are free of charge to Seminar Attendees
- Categories include Forensic and General
- Maximum of 2 entries per person per category
- Entries will be voted on by Seminar Attendees
- Winners will be chosen from each category ($50 prizes) along with an overall winner ($100 prize)
- Winners will be announced on Thursday, May 25 at the Banquet
- Images may be color or black/white
- Contestant must bring 5x7 photo to Seminar
- Post-processing – The goal of the contest is to showcase your camera skills, not editing skills. Here are some guidelines used by National Geographic for what is allowed and not allowed in post-processing:
- Please submit photos that are un-manipulated. Photos should not be altered via Photoshop or other image altering programs.
- Please do not digitally enhance or alter photos. If you have digitally added or removed anything to the photo, please do not submit it.
- Dodging & Burning – Dodging (to brighten shadows) or burning (to darken highlights) is acceptable within reason. Your goal in using digital darkroom techniques should be to adjust the dynamic tonal range of an image so that it more closely resembles what you saw.
- Color Saturation – Color saturation is acceptable within reason. Please avoid significant over or under saturation.
- Solarization, mezzotint, duotone, etc. – These types of alteration ‘filters’ are highly discouraged. Please avoid using them.
- Black and white photos are acceptable. Photos must be 5x7. Please bring the photo with you and drop it off at registration in Austin. Please let us know at registration if you would like your photo returned to you.
- Cropping is acceptable
- Stitched panoramas are NOT acceptable
- High dynamic range (HDR) photos are NOT acceptable
- All photos must be original work and available for public display. The AFTE 2023 host committee reserves the right to screen entries for content and post-processing.
- All rights to submissions are maintained by the owner; however, by submitting an entry, you give permission to the AFTE 2023 host committee to reproduce the images for display.
Email questions to: postersAFTE2023@gmail.com