Frequently Asked Questions
- When does registration open? Registration typically opens in July.
- What does it cost to attend? Registration rates are listed here.
- What is included in the registration fee? Registration includes access to all general sessions, breakout sessions, research colloquia, workshops, non-ticketed events, the exhibit hall, and any refreshment breaks Friday-Sunday. Though no meals are included in the registration fee, some light snacks and coffee will be provided throughout the conference.
- Can I become an IDA member and register at the same time? No, you are not able to join or renew your IDA membership while registering. You may become a member here and use the invoice number provided in your confirmation email as your member ID to register for conference. Note: Membership must be active at the time of the conference to receive membership rates.
- Am I required to select sessions in advance of the conference? Yes. While the majority of rooms are large, we want to have enough seating for everyone without exceeding fire code regulations. To eliminate any difficulty onsite, we require attendees to sign up for their sessions in advance. Each attendee's badge lists the sessions for which he or she has registered to ensure admittance into those sessions. Sessions do fill to capacity, so please select your sessions as early as possible.
- Can I change my sessions once I select them? Yes, you can modify your sessions online until online registration clsoes (one week prior to the conference). Onsite you will be able to update your sessions at the registration desk.
- Are there discounts for students? Yes. Students currently enrolled part- or full-time in an accredited college or university are eligible to receive a discounted registration rate. Once registration opens, a link will be made available for students to fill out and obtain the discount code for registration. Anyone seeking a student discount must be an IDA member.
- Are there discounts for families? Yes, we offer discounts for family members of individuals with dyslexia. These discounts are based on individuals, not families as a whole. Once registration opens, a link will be made available for families to fill out and obtain the proper discount code for registration. Anyone seeking a family discount must be an IDA member.
- Why can't I register for two sessions that occur at the same time? The registration system prevents this for many reasons including firecode regulations and professional development credit hour tracking. If you would like to change sessions onsite, please go to the registration booth and an IDA staff member will update your selections and reprint your badge.How do I get a receipt for my registration? Receipts are available once you complete your registration. Should you need an additional copy, please email email@example.com.
- What is the cancellation and refund policy? All cancellations, without exception, must be in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 7, 2019. IDA will refund registration fees, less a $50 cancellation fee. Refunds will be processed within twelve weeks following the conference. If you cancel any time after October 7, 2019, or if you are unable to attend the conference for any reason, we cannot refund your registration fees in whole or in part. No refunds will be processed for special sessions with fees/ticketed events on or after October 14, 2019.
- I can't find my confirmation email. Was it actually sent? Confirmation emails are automatically sent once registration is completed and paid for. If you cannot find your confirmation email, be sure to look in your spam/junk folder. If you have Gmail, your email may be in the "Promotions" tab.
Continuing Education/Professional Development
- Am I able to obtain continuing education credit for attending the conference? Yes, typically we offer credits for American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), Center for Effective Reading (CERI), International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC), Academic Language Therapy Association (ALTA), and Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU).
- Is there an additional cost for ceus? ASHA costs an additional $10 which can be paid for during registration. There will be no refunds for anyone who selects this option and ends up not needing it. There is an additional cost for VCU CEUs that must be paid for directly on their website.
- Will you provide a certificate of attendance? A certificate of attendance is automatically emailed to all attendees following the conference. This certificate will include the clock horus earned.
- Can I register with a purchase order? Attendees may register and "pay" with a purchase order, but you must include the purchase order number, billing contact and billing address during registration in order to complete your registration. If available, please upload your purchase order during registration. If you do not upload your purchase order during registration, a copy of the purchase order or check payment must be received no later than 15 days after completing your registration to avoid cancellation for non-payment.
- Where do I send my purchase order? You can send your purchase order to email@example.com, fax it to 410-321-5069 or mail it to IDA Conference Department, 40 York Road, 4th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21204.
- I can no longer attend. Can someone go in my place? Yes, if you are no longer able to attend the conference, we can substitute someone else into your registration. To do so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the new registrants full name and email address. Once the substitution is completed, the new registrant will receive a confirmation email.
- There are multiple people coming from my company/school. Can we register as a group? Yes. Discounts are available for groups of ten or more individuals attending the conference from the same company. Please contact us if you will be registering in a group for further instructions.
Hotel & Travel
- How do I reserve a hotel room? IDA's blocks of rooms will be open in the spring. Please visit our travel page for more information.
- What if I want to share a room with another attendee? If you're looking for a roommate, please visit our DyslexiaCon19 Facebook event and post that you're looking for a roommate with preferred qualities (i.e. female/male, hotel preference, etc.) Please do not share private information publicly. Instead, ask for an email address and follow up separately.
- Is there a deadline to make my hotel reservations? Yes. All hotel reservations must be made by October 14, 2019. There will be no guarantee of room availability or discounts after that date.
- Can I receive the discounted room rate for dates before/after the conference? Yes, the discounted hotel rates are available for three days before and after the conference so feel free to come early or stay late!
- Are there fees to park at the hotel(s)? Yes, please see the travel page for more information on parking rates at each hotel.
- Does IDA offer discounts on air travel? IDA has contracted with multiple airlines to assist attendees in getting to the conference for as little cost as possible. To find more information, visit our air transportation page. (coming soon)
- How do I get to the Oregon Convention Center from my hotel? Coming soon.
- How do I obtain a letter of invitation if I'm traveling internationally? To receive a letter of invitation, attendees must first register and pay in full for the conference. Then, attendees fill out an online form so that we can collect your information and provide your customized letter. For more information about traveling internationally and obtaining a letter of invitation, click here.
- How can I access the mobile app? The mobile app will be available in late October. Check back closer to that time for more information.
- I can't login to the mobile app. What is my password? Once the mobile app is launched, simply log in with the email address you used during registration and password IDA2019.
- Can I select my sessions on the mobile app? Currently, we do not have the capability for you to select your sessions on the mobile app, though this is something we are looking into. Check back later for more information and any updates.
- Will the mobile app sync to multiple devices? Yes! Once you create an account with the app you will be able to log in from any device provided it is compatible. .
- What is the virtual conference? The virtual conference is a great option for those who are unable to attend the conference in person. The virtual conference is a live stream of the most popular sessions and full access to most other sessions that are audio recorded. All sessions will also be synced with the PowerPoint presentations for an optimal viewing experience.
- Can I select which sessions I wish to participate in virtually? The sessions for the live stream are pre-determined based on the most popular sessions during registration. The virtual schedule will be available once early bird registration closes.
- Will I receive continuing education credit for the virtual conference? Yes! All virtual conference participants are eligible to receive continuing education hours/credits for ASHA and CERI, and will receive a certificate of attendance following the conference.
- If I purchase access to the virtual conference, can someone watch with me? We cannot prevent multiple individuals from watching one live stream, however, the only person who will be able to obtain a certificate of attendance or continuing education credit/hours is that individual that is actually registered.
- Are group discounts available for the virtual conference? Yes, for groups of ten or more. Please contact us directly for more information.
- Will the virtual conference work on my device (desktop, mobile, ipad, etc.)? Most devices are compatible with the streaming service. However, there is a system checker that participants can access prior to the beginning of the livestream to ensure proper compatability.
- Is the time of the Virtual Conference adjustable for my time zone? The Virtual Conference will occur in Pacific Time and will not be adjustable. However, all conference recordings will be available on-demand following the conference unless otherwise requested by the presenter(s).
- How long will I have access to the recordings? The recordings will be avialable for at least once year following the conference.
- What are the benefits to volunteering? Besides the feeling of doing good in your community, all volunteers will receive a discount on their registration.
- How do I be a volunteer? A volunteer sign up link will be available later this summer.
- What are the requirements to being a volunteer? Volunteers simply must show up and complete the hours for which they signed up. There are different volunteer "jobs" that will require different skills.
- What jobs will I perform as a volunteer? Most volunteers will be "human arrows" helping attendees find where they need to go. Other jobs include tote bag stuffing and helping at the branch booth.
- How long are the shifts? Typical shifts are two-four hours long.
- Can I choose my shifts? Yes, once the sign up link is open, you'll be able to select which shift(s) you wish to sign up for.
- What will I be required to wear? Business casual is typically what our volunteers wear. Sometimes there may be a specific shirt or button for volunteers to be more easily identified.
- What kind of accessibility arrangements are available? Should you have any specific ADA needs, please note this during registration. Someone from the conference team will contact you prior to the conference.
- Will there be childcare services available? At this time there are no plans to include childcare in our onsite services.
- Will there be a room for nursing mothers available? Yes, the Oregon Convention Center provides two Mamava nursing suites throughout. These secure rooms are located on level one near the A and E meeting rooms. The suites are ADA-compatible with a comfortable seating area and are equipped with standard AC power outlets and USB charger ports. Note: All Mamava suites come with a Bluetooth SmartLock that syncs with Mamava’s mobile app. Download the app at mamava.com/mobile-app.
- Will there be wheelchairs or scooters available for rent? If you need mobility assistance to make your visit easier or more comfortable, please stop by the Administration Office on Level 2 to rent a wheelchair or electric scooter. Equipment is available on a first come, first served basis.
- What shuttle services and transportation is available? There will be no complimentary shuttle provided for DyslexiaCon19. However, all attendees will receive a complimentary Hop Fastpass for access on all of Portland's public transportation. Click here for more information.