Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
Natural Antimicrobial For Downstream Applications
Antimicrobials are additives typically added to products with the aim to destroy or inhibit the growth of microbes. In view of the current global pandemic, the use of antimicrobials has become more prevalent. Currently, such antimicrobials are synthetic chemicals, which are often associated with drawbacks such as cytotoxicity and tendency for resistance development.
The technology on offer is a natural antimicrobial agent derived through valorisation of food industry byproduct. Extracted using a clean label extraction process, the derived natural antimicrobial agent exhibits good potency against a broad spectrum of microbes, including bacteria and viruses. More importantly, the valorisation and extraction processes are 100% clean and eco-friendly, without any use of toxic and/or synthetic chemicals, making it highly biocompatible, with no adverse impact of human health. This technology is highly processible, able to withstand thermal and/or pressurized treatment and compatible with both aqueous- and oil-based solvents. The superior processability and natural origin implies that it can be applied to many different applications across various industries including biomedical, food, personal care, materials, etc.
The applicant company is keen to seek partnership with various business and industry partners for the following areas:
- Application and product development agreement
- Research and development collaborations
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
The technology on offer is derived from food waste and possesses the following features:
- 100% Natural
- No synthetic and harmful chemicals
- No heavy metals
- Potent antimicrobial efficacy
- Superior efficacy against broad spectrum of bacteria, effectively targeting 99.999% of all tested bacteria including virulent bacteria such as S. aureus, E. coli, P. aeruginosa, L. monocytogenes.
- Enhanced virucidal functionality, effectively targeting and killing more than 99% of both enveloped and non-enveloped viruses within 2.5 minutes.
- Highly biocompatible
- No adverse effect on human health, even with frequent and prolonged exposure
- No known allergic reaction
- Excellent processibility for broad spectrum downstream applications
- Thermal resilient
- Capability to withstand pressure treatment
- Compatibility with both aqueous- and oil-based solvents
- Eco-friendly and sustainable
- Derived from food waste
- Negative carbon footprint
Potential applications include (but are not limited to) :
- Fast moving consumers goods such as for personal and homecare use
- Materials such as textiles and coatings
The company has successfully developed the natural antimicrobial agent for use in hand sanitizers and are seeking potential collaborations in other applications.
- Naturally derived alternative to synthetic chemicals with similar antimicrobial potency
- Highly biocompatible with no adverse impact on human health
- Validated antimicrobial efficacy against broad spectrum of microbes including both bacteria and viruses
- Superior processibility with tolerance towards thermal and pressure treatment
- Compatible with different solvents
- Environmentally sustainable