Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
Innovative Vanadium Redox Flow Energy Storage Solution for Renewables
Today, the cost of energy generated by renewable sources is less than conventional energy. However, the continuous growth will be impeded without the availability of a reliable energy storage solution. Vanadium redox flow battery (VRFB) is recognised as a promising stationary energy storage system (ESS) to unlock the full potential from renewables. Unlike lithium-ion and lead acid batteries, the liquid electrolyte of VRFB is stored outside the battery in external tanks. This gives flow batteries the flexibility to design or customise its power and energy densities independently.
Spin-off from Nanyang Technological University research, the technology owner has developed a VRFB ESS that could outperform other energy storage solutions in terms of round-trip efficiency, energy density and thermal window, as well as lower levelised cost of storage when benchmarked against lithium-ion battery-based ESS for long discharge duration. The VRFB uses a unique stack design and an organic additive mixture on the electrolyte that improves the thermal stability and allows to increase the energy density by 25%, compared to other VRFB solutions. It also reduces safety risks related to over-charging, discharging and thermal runaways.
The VRFB ESS is designed and fabricated using widely available environmentally friendly materials and technically mature systems, enabling stable performance for up to 25 years and no electrolyte degradation. Hence, it has gained traction as an alternative for diesel generators and lithium-ion batteries in microgrid, power backup or power management systems and utility applications.
The technology owner is seeking partnership with renewable energy developers and end-user collaboration to adopt the technology and advance in their energy transitions journey with long lifespan VRFB ESS. The technology owner is also interested in collaborating with investors for research and development and large-scale utility and microgrid projects.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
- Long lifetime: Performance guarantee on the daily energy output for 25 years with no degradation issues.
- Enhanced temperature operation: Innovative stack design allows up to 10% higher round trip efficiency which further helps in cost reduction and organic chemical additive allows higher operating temperature (-10°C to 55°C).
- Fire-safe and reliable technology: No leakage, smoke or fire occurring under several realistic scenarios. The system is equipped with advanced sensors to prevent any possible leakage of electrolyte.
- Recyclability and sustainability: Components of the VRFB are environmentally friendly and 100% recyclable.
- Energy density and low maintenance: Highest density in its segment and hassle-free maintenance.
- In-house system monitoring platform (BMS/EMS): Custom-built real-time monitoring platform for batteries’ performance monitoring. Enhanced digital platform for predictive analytics and supply demand management monitoring.
- Microgrid: Complete replacement of diesel genset through the low-cost VRFB ESS coupled with solar. The technology is proven to be economical and more reliable for applications that require back up power for more than 3 hours.
- Green charging station: Electric vehicle (EV) market is growing at an exponential rate. Sustainable growth of EV requires easy availability of EV charging station. These EV-charging solutions will cause stress to the existing grid, thus requiring a reliable battery solution to mitigate these risks.
- Powering building, telecom tower and data center: VRFB are designed for long hour back-ups with renewables.
- Grid stabilisation and renewable peak shifting: Asia has over 950 GW of renewable energy already installed and is expected to double by end of this decade. Peak-load demand, frequency regulation and solving intermittency problem with renewable integration requires utility scale reliable ESS.
- VRFB ESS can be left completely discharged for long periods with no negative effects or degradation. The power stack and energy (electrolyte) could be decoupled, allowing it to scale easily.
- The intrinsic non-flammability, low likelihood of fire, non-degradation characteristics of the VRFB with a long lifespan of 25 years will be the next promise technology for energy storage in energy transition.