Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
100% Biodegradable Polymer
Plastic is a very versatile material as it is lightweight, cheap, and durable. However, plastics take hundreds of years to decompose in nature, leading to the problem of plastic pollution. Furthermore, most commercially available biodegradable plastics are unable to be used as complete replacements for single-use plastics as they have weaker mechanical properties such as strength and temperature resistance. Therefore, a new biodegradable alternative is necessary to mitigate the serious environmental pollution problem brought about by conventional single-use plastics.
This technology is a renewable, bio-based, and degradable resin that meets both international industrial and home composting standards. Produced through a propietary compounding process, the material can meet the standards for food contact grade. The polymer also has excellent fluidity, toughness and good moulding performance that meet the production requirements in injection moulding, extrusion, thermoforming, and other moulding processes. It does not require strict conditions to degrade and will achieve 100% self-degradation when placed in a natural environment together with ordinary waste, leaving no harmful substances. This material aims to be a viable replacement to replace conventional plastics in disposable tableware, food packaging, and sanitary ware.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
The technology consists of up to 50% bio-based materials from a renewable source and is food-grade, non-toxic, non-polluting, and does not contain any harmful additives or inorganics.
Other features of the material include:
- 100% biodegradable
- Able to withstand temperatures up to 100°C
- Suitable for injection moulding and extrusion without requiring pre-treatment
- Fast, complete degradation with no harmful residues
- Meets industrial (up to 5mm thickness) and home (up to 3mm thickness) composting standards
- Can be composted with food waste
The degradation of this environmentally friendly bio-based polymer also plays a role in soil fertility, contributing to a circular economy.
The use of this bio-based 100% degradable polymer has application in industries requiring a direct replacement of single-use plastics.
Potential applications include (but are not limited to):
- Disposable food containers, packaging, cups, etc.
- Disposable straws, chopsticks, and other hollow products.
- Disposable cutlery and sanitary ware
- Offers a sustainable solution that addresses plastic waste issues
- Not restricted by the availability of industrial composting facilities
- Production process can be modified to produce variations of the polymer
- Able to adapt to existing plastic production lines
- Scalable and eco-friendly process