Visa Information

Visa options for Conferences, Trade Fairs, Seminars or Expos
All visitors to Australia must have a valid visa to travel to and enter Australia (other than New Zealand passport holders who will normally be granted a Special Category visa on arrival, provided they meet health and character requirements; and permanent residents of Norfolk Island who may be granted a Permanent Resident of Norfolk Island visa on arrival).
If you are planning to visit Australia for a business event such as a conference, trade fair, seminar or expo, you may be able to apply for one of the following visas.
The appropriate visa will depend, amongst other things, on your purpose for visiting Australia.

Visa Options

The passport which you hold determines whether you are eligible to apply online, or need to lodge a paper based application.
Depending on your eligibility, you may be able to apply for one of the following visas:

-  Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400)
-  Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) (subclass 601) 
-  eVisitor visa (subclass 651)
-  Visitor (Business Stream) visa (subclass 600)

The Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400) is the appropriate visa for those intending to undertake one or more of the following roles/activities:

  • People involved in the organisation or delivery of the event
  • Speakers, presenters or delegates who are being paid (including appearance fees) for their participation eg. professional motivational speakers or VIPs paid to attend as delegates
  • A role/activity that would normally be remunerated
  • Independent journalist, correspondent or reporter for an overseas news organisation who will not be taking part in film, television or other productions that will be broadcast in Australia
  • Exhibitors engaged in retail activities (sale of goods or services directly to the general public).

More information is available on the department’s website.

For more detailed information on visa application process, please click here.